Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Cover Your Ass

"One thing about this business you gotta get used to. Whenever you're not around, someone's blaming you for something."

So said the new assistant I work with as we tried to reorganize all the work that's been done before us in order that the editors can better understand where everything is. We have to make everything so clear a five year old can understand. But that's our job.

I noticed that some of the editors were shutting down equipment improperly and leaving workstations a mess. This is something I was told not to do, so I mentioned it to the supervisor, see if we can't all do things the same.

"That's the problem," he laughed. "It's really their perogative to do whatever they want. And it's my job to tell you when you do things wrong."

"So even if they do something wrong..." I said.

"...It's your fault," he finished.

Ugh.

We've also tried to streamline our work to do it as fast as possible and with a minimial amount of effort on our part.

Said my co-worker: "An old school grip once told me, 'I want to do as little as possible and get paid the most for it.' "

Words to live by.

No comments: