Monday, January 05, 2009

New Year, New Things

2009. Almost a decade into the new millennium. I've been mostly disappointed with the decade thus far, but we won't go into detail about that.
Instead, the thing to do at the beginning of any new year is to look ahead, while simultaneously taking time to reflect on the previous year.

2008:
I worked a lot in 2008 and hopefully learned more about my "craft".
Don't remember anything else. Nothing stands out. Visited friends in various cities, and found that time marches relentlessly on. The ones who admired you once stop caring and vice versa. The nature of growing old I suppose.
It was a year of milestones for people around me, but just another normal one for me. No different than 1998 or 1988. And that is both depressing and comforting.

So the new year has arrived, and with it the initial urge to start anew.
I was let go from my job in the middle of December, so it is like starting over for me.
I am spending the month of January immersing myself in learning After Effects. And in order to do so, I will be making short little zombie movies. Exploding heads and gunshot wounds through the miracle of software! What better way to learn? I remember reading library books on special effects when I was in elementary school and it is the one remaining aspect of the filmmaking process that still invokes a sense of awe and wonder.

I want to spend the next several months rediscovering the filmmaking process and what drew me to it so many years ago. I want to fall in love with it again. Or it will be time to find something else to do. And that, my friends, will be most distressing.

I will try to post more on here, but since the only people who read this blog anymore are people in foreign countries looking for pictures of Paris Hilton in The Simple Life, is it even worth it?

New Years Eve 2009

Maybe a post or two about the results of my attempts to get in shape at least...

1 comment:

bruised reed said...

Sure it's worth it. I still read it. I am in a foreign country, but I'm not looking for Paris Hilton pictures.
Of course, I think the same thing sometimes. I mean, should I post more often for my 3 readers? I try.
Anyway, how's the After Effects going? I'm working on photo stuff, but as a result have put aside necessary script revising. I hope to get back down to that business soon.