Thursday, May 03, 2007

Master Thespian

I went to an audition today for a short film a guy I work with is producing. It was actually the first time I ever really auditioned for something, so that was interesting. I didn't have a headshot, because I've never really fancied myself a "real" actor, so I quickly threw together a resume and photoshopped an old picture onto it. It took me all of twenty minutes. Fifteen of those were spent trying to figure out what film and theater productions I've been in and what I should include.

There's a funny dichotomy between my "film roles" and my "theater roles".

Casting Agent: Ah, I see you played Guildenstern in Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. Oh! And I see you've played both "Street Thug #1" and "Mugger" in several films.

Often, when I'd be working on friends' films, I'd be asked at the last minute if I would care to play some punk bad guy. Nobody ever casts these roles, it seems, and just try to find the scariest-looking crew member to fill in when that shot finally comes around. And often, that crew member was me.

This particular role called for someone who could be either 25 or 45, the character being an alcoholic pizza maker who may or may not have spent time in prison. Again, my natural features came in handy!

It was fun to actually read for a part I probably will not get. I've been spoiled. I've acted now and then because I was asked to, not because I wanted to pursue an acting career and went after the roles on my own. I enjoyed experiencing that part of an actor's life.

No comments: