Thursday, May 25, 2006

Cruel Summer

They always say that "the holidays" (ie. Thanksgiving through New Years) are the worst time for lonely people. As a long-time Lonely Guy, I have to disagree with that bit of folklore. No, I think that summer is incredibly depressing and hateful for the individual suffering from loneliness.

Why?

Because that is always when couples come out en masse, to flaunt their happiness. To go for walks and enjoy being alive. What's up with that?

For this reason I tend to hibernate in the summer. This year should be no different. In fact, I have a job working the 3rd shift, so I will be sleeping most days this summer, saving me from having to interact with people and subject myself to the world around me. What some folks refer to as "living".

It's been quite a few years since I got any joy out of that interminable season called summer. I blame this on Hollywood. A man in my condition needs summer blockbusters to make it through the day. A darkened movie theater is a safe haven from the outside world of roving couples armed with picnic baskets or strollers.

I hope that the cinematic drivel I plan on spending my summer with this year doesn't completely rot my brain. And if I'm lucky, there may be a few that warrant repeat viewings. That will help keep me away from parks and beaches and other dangerous communal, anti-lonely guy locations.

No comments: