Friday, October 13, 2006

The Enigma

During one of the performances of "Jungle Woman of the Jungle", there was a photographer taking pictures.

I am not a very photogenic person. Between the ages of 12 and 17, I would hide everytime pictures were taken at my family reunions. Year after year of family group photos are missing me. My cousin and I used to get a kick out of it. One time, we hid in the tree above where the family was taking pictures. It was hard to stifle our laughter as my aunt yelled out, only several feet below us, "Where's David?! Where's Tommy?!"

These days I don't have to hide. I seldom find myself as anyone's photographic subject.

The irony, of course, is that I love looking at pictures of myself.

I'm an unabashed narcissist. Unfortunately, I am usually the only one harboring this desire to look at pictures of David Michael Orsborn. And so, unless I am taking the picture myself, I often must be content with seeing myself in the background of other peoples' pictures.

Looking through the pictures from the play, I was amazed by my uncanny ability to escape the camera's gaze almost entirely. I was onstage in many of these shots, but all that is captured is an elbow here, a chin there. Like the Bigfoot of the stage! There is little evidence of my existence. You just had to be there...

Check out the pics HERE

No comments: