Friday, October 27, 2006

For The Completist In Me

When it comes to my favorite directors I have always tried to track down every film they ever made, especially their early student films. I remember being very excited when I was in college and came across a VHS copy of Martin Scorsese's "Who's That Knocking At My Door?", his first feature-length film. At that point I had seen almost every film he'd made and this discovery brought me one step closer to seeing them all. Later in my college career I was able to find a VHS of "Italianamerican" and "The Big Shave". With the recent release of two Scorsese collections on DVD, I was ever closer. At this point the only two films of Scorsese's I hadn't seen were his first two student films. I figured that eventually, someone would put them out on DVD as an extra or something.

Luckily for me, there is YouTube. You can find just about anything on there. And, as luck would have it, I was able to finally see those two student films.

I am amazed at the density of these two very short pieces. He shows his talent very early. One of the common traits of the student films I've tracked down is that they're all pretty bad. Which always made me feel good. Because my student films weren't that good either, and I thought, "If they could eventually make it, so can I!"

On the other hand, Martin Scorsese was Martin Scorsese from the moment he picked up a camera, apparently.

What's A Nice Girl Like You Doing In A Place Like This?


It's Not Just You, Murray Pt. 1


It's Not Just You, Murray Pt. 2

1 comment:

bruised reed said...

You're not kidding Dave. That dude was Martin Scorsese from the very beginning.