Sunday, August 14, 2005

The Watch

She had promised to buy him a watch. She never liked the one he already had so she told him she would buy him a new one. Something more stylish, she said. He thought that his current watch was fine but agreed that perhaps he could use a new one.

That was over a year ago. And she had never bought the watch for him. Granted, they did break up a few months after she told him that and both of them had gone their separate ways, but it always irked him that she had never followed through in buying him that new watch.

It particularly bothered him now, as the watch she never liked had been broken for the last three months. He really could use a new watch. But he couldn't bring himself to buy it on his own, when he knew that one was owed him. So he'd called her up and set up a meeting. To discuss a very important subject.

He spotted her sitting in the food court at the mall and he approached. He'd told her to meet him at 2pm. It was 2:15.

"You're late," she said.

"I know. It's your fault."

"How is it my fault?"

"You never bought me that watch," he said.

"What are you talking about?"

"Last Christmas," he explained. "You said you wanted to buy me a new watch. You never did."

"That was last year! We broke up seven moths ago!"

"And I've been late for everything as a result."

"Why don't you break down and buy yourself a watch for chrissakes?" she asked.

"Cuz you said you would," he replied.

"We were dating when I said that."

"So it was a lie?"

"No," she said. "I wanted to then."

"But only cuz we were dating."

"Yes."

"That means your word is worthless," he said. "Unless we're dating."

"You're really insane!"

"And you're not trustworthy."

She was becoming exhausted. He realized he was not getting anywhere. He suggested they take a walk. She agreed and they walked down one of the mall corridors.

"So what is this really about?" she asked. "Why did you want to meet me?"

He looked at her and remembered nights long ago when he would take her face in his hands and gently kiss her lips, her eyes, her forehead. He could recall the feel of her hair as he ran his fingers through it. The smell of her sweat on hot summer nights after they'd made love.

"I need a watch," he said.

"That really is what this is about?!"

"Yes," he said blankly.

"And you want me to buy it?!"

"I just want you to keep your word," he said. "It works out for everyone. I'll be on time for things and you won't be known as a bald-faced liar."

"I am NOT buying you a watch," she said, raising her voice, then lowering it self-consciously as she spoke further. "That was then, ok? This is now. Move on! Learn to take care of yourself for once."

"You wanted to buy me a watch when I already had a watch. Now that I don't have a watch, you won't buy me one. You make no sense."

"We were dating then!"

"Always placing conditions on things," he said. "Alright, I see I'm not getting anywhere. You haven't changed. Thought I'd give you a second chance."

"I broke up with you!"

"I know. Cuz you're cold and heartless. You left me and didn't even have the decency of getting me a goodbye present. Like a watch. But nope. No severance package whatsoever. I wonder how you live with yourself."

In their trek around the mall, they had ended up at a small booth that sold watches. the cashier smiled at the couple as they approached.

"Hi," the cashier beamed. "What can I do for you?"

She was flushed and exasperated. She told the cashier they wanted the cheapest watch available and threw down a fistful of bills and stormed off. The cashier counted the money and placed a small box containing a cheap plastic watch on the counter.

He watched his ex walking briskly away from him and called out to her.

"Do you want them to wrap it for me?"

1 comment:

soma_x said...

Lately, I have been thinking of an ex, and when we broke it off, I realized that he promised me a lot of things. None of which he ever kept.

I think I should use that to convince him that he promised me a car or something... Sweet revenge.