Thursday, March 16, 2006

Trax of My Tears

Innana tagged me again for a survey. I don't mind this one. I was actually going to post something about music anyway, so this fit right in...

1. A track from your early childhood.
Well, according to the autobiography I wrote in my second grade English class, my favorite song at the time was “Elvira” by The Oak Ridge Boys. Definitely fits in with the rest of my white trash childhood memories: The Dukes of Hazard, Kenny Rogers in the movie Six Pack, Smokey and the Bandit, Evel Knievel, et al. By the way, I can’t even remember what this song sounds like.

2. A track that you associate with your first love.
Midnight Oil, “Beds Are Burning”. Not so much a first love, but my first lust. I was about 12 and was at a dance and an older girl danced with me and was grinding against me, teaching me how to “dirty dance”. It was a little more exciting than I remember the movie being.

3. A track that reminds you of a holiday trip.
U2, “Mysterious Ways”. I remember first hearing this on a trip with my family to visit my grandparents in Tampa, FL. For some reason it stands out as a vacation song in my mind.

4. A track that you like but wouldn’t want to be associated with in public.
Chicago’s “You’re The Inspiration”. Next question.

5. A track that accompanied you when you were lovesick.
Um, Chris Issak’s entire back catalogue. If I have to narrow it down to one track, though, I’ll say “Things Go Wrong” off the album Forever Blue. “Trying to remember what I know I should forget” sums up a good chunk of my life.

6. A track that you have probably listened to most often.
I’d be lying if I didn’t say Guns N’ Roses, “Mr. Brownstone”. I still put it on the jukebox in bars.

7. A track that is your favourite instrumental.
Ennio Morricone, “Theme from A Few Dollars More”. I love the music from spaghetti westerns even more than I love spaghetti westerns.

8. A track that represents one of your favourite bands.
Yo La Tengo, “From A Motel 6”. I had dropped acid the first time I heard this. For weeks I heard the song in my head. I had just moved to New Orleans and I put it on every mix tape I made for friends back home. It was my theme song for several months.

9. A track which represents yourself best.
When I was in high school, I wanted Metallica’s “Motorbreath” to be the theme song for the movie about my life. In fact, I even told my friend Matt to make sure that when he directed the movie (we had both planned on directing each other’s biographical films) that he in fact use that song for the end sequence where my life was summed up in a beautiful montage of the fury and splendor of my short but prolific life.

However, 17 years later, I think the song that really represents my path would be Bob Dylan’s “Simple Twist of Fate”.

10.. A track that reminds you of a special occasion (which one?).
The Cars, "(Let the) Good Times Roll". I can't really think of any special occasions in my life, but when I have one, this should be playing. This should always play at a special occasion. Just kick back and let them wash your rock and roll hair and think, "Ya know, this really is a special occasion."

11.. A track that you can relax to.
Talking Heads, “This Must Be The Place (Naïve Melody)”. This falls just behind “Mr. Brownstone” on the “constant rotation” list.

12. A track that stands for a really good time in your life.
Robert Plant, “29 Palms”. Also known as “It’s Cold In Your Car”.

13. A track that is currently your favourite.
The Flaming Lips’, “Bad Days”. I’ve been on a Lips kick for months now. You have to sleep late when you can/And all your bad days will end

14. A track that you’d dedicate to your best friend.
Tobin Sprout, “Moonflower Plastic (You’re Here)”

15. A track that you think nobody but you likes.
The Hooters, “One Way Home”, from the album of the same name. I listened to this cassette so much in junior high I actually started writing a script based on lyrics from various songs off it. It was the story of some high school friends who start a band and their eventual downfall as they become more and more successful. Their friendships are forever changed from their experiences “on the road”. Very pedestrian stuff, with no original thought whatsoever. Of course, I thought it was going to be the greatest thing ever committed to celluloid.

16. A track that you like especially for its lyrics.
Frank Zappa, “Camarillo Brillo”. She stripped away her ranchid poncho/An’ laid out naked by the door/We did it till we were un-concho/An’ it was useless any more, is pure poetry.

17. A track that you like that’s neither English nor German.
I don’t fully understand this question, but I’m going to say, “Love’s a Real Thing” by Super Eagles. They’re a band from Gambia, a country in Africa. I don’t think that is either English or German.

18. A track that lets you release tension best.
“Dead Skin Mask”, by Slayer. Really anything by Slayer. They are the only metal band anyone needs in their arsenal. If you want to have a metal album in your collection, it should be something by Slayer. It might create more tension than it releases, but if I’m in a tense, angry mood, I’ll listen to aggressive head-banging metal, and eventually calm down and realize why I don’t listen to that stuff anymore. It wears you out.

19. A track that you want to be played at your funeral.
PJ Harvey’s cover of Peggy Lee’s “Is That All There Is?” It has a cheesy church organ playing a dirge anyway. Fitting really.

20. A track that you’d nominate for the “best of all times” category.
Alice Cooper, “Billion Dollar Baby”. Because I’m so scared your little head will come off in my hands.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It's Cold in Your Car"!!! Great song.... :-)

Buff Huntley said...

Yes, as I expected, I enjoyed reading this!

Have to admit some of the names I didn't recognize, especially metal bands. But any Talking Heads fan is a friend of mine.
And you're better off with Elvira out of your mind. Now that I've read this, it's been running through mine continually : oom-pa-pa, oom-pa-pa, oom-pa.

My heart's on fire.